I’m often on the go and there are days when I need to have a convenient snack available in my handbag or in my car. Although I follow flexible dieting that allows me to pick something up from the nearest gas station, I often find that the selection of healthier snacks is not always the best.
So whenever I have some spare time I make sure that I make these Chocolate Protein Balls. Beside from being delicious and being able to satisfy my chocolate craving, they are also great as you can keep them in the freezer.
Give them a go and let me know in the comments what you think.
- 1 cup of almond meal (or ground almonds in blender/food processor)
- 4.2 oz. (120 g) of chocolate or vanilla protein powder
- 4 tbsp. of raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup of stevia, or to taste
- 1/2 cup of cocoa nibs (optional but adds extra crunch)
- Approximately 1 cup desiccated coconut (for rolling)
- 1 tsp. of organic vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. of natural almond butter OR peanut butter
- 1/2 cup melted cocoa butter OR coconut oil
- Combine almond meal, protein powder, cocoa powder, cocoa nibs and stevia in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix vanilla extract, almond butter and cocoa butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined into a thick dough type mixture. Note: you may need to add a little water to help mix if needed.
- Roll into small balls and then roll in the coconut.
- Place on a tray with baking paper and place in the fridge or freezer. I like mine in the freezer 😉
This is a healthy alternative to a sugary dessert or snack high in heatlhy fats and protein. Make a batch and keep them in the freezer to use on days when you simply haven’t had a chance to prepare anything. Or, on days when you have a chocolate craving!